Choosing a Major
How Do I Choose A College Major ?
Choosing a college major should be based on your interests, skills, passions, personality, abilities and values. As you grow and adapt in college, so will your interests. It is then not uncommon for students to change their college major once or more during their college years. You may want to keep in mind some of the areas when you choose your college major :
- Skills Assessment :
A skills assessment can tell you more about your strengths and abilities. You can do a self-skills assessment online or go to your school’s career services office.
- Interests and Hobbies :
Write down your interests and hobbies and see which ones give you the greatest amount of satisfaction. This tells you what type of activities you enjoy and can help you when choosing your major.
- Passions :
Your passions are what drive you. Your passions are what give you the most pleasure and satisfaction in life. Ideally, choose a college major based on your passions.
- Personality Type :
Your personality type plays a key factor when choosing a college major. Are you outgoing and enjoy working with others or do you prefer to work alone. Certain professions are more suited to certain personality types.
- Values :
Prioritizing your values can help you on your career path.
- Informational Interviewing :
Informational interviewing is a great way to learn more about a job or career. If there is a job that really interests you, find someone in that field and contact them to learn more about what their job is like. It takes some action on your part but many people are willing to take the time to talk to students about their job.
Related Links :
- Federal Student Aid
– A site being built in collaboration with the U.S. Department of Education and students. Find a wealth of information and inspiration on finding your college major and planning for college.
– Explore various careers and their annual salaries.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook 2015 Edition
– Handbook from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Find current information on projected job earnings, working conditions, required training and education and job descriptions.
– An online vocational resource tool with information and self-assessments in career planning and development.
Great video with tips on how to choose your college major.